So, you think I am nuts?

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Siew Yoke , Char Siew

Actually, I wasn't in the mood to blog but while I was driving to the orphanage this morning, Jomel's photos of the succulent siew yoke ( not Jomel's siew yoke, ok) came across my mind. Damn juicy looking. It reminded me of Overseas Restaurant's "mat chap char siew" (honey roasted char siew). You can actually see the shiny coating of the char siew roasted till perfection with a hint of overburn at both ends of the meat. And guess what? The char siew is marbalized with fats and lean meat. Now, that is what I call Char Siew. Char siew cannot be lean meat all the way. It has got to have streaks of fats to make it juicy. During the chewing process, the combination of the lean meat, the fats, the honey and the intensity of the bbq heat ( fire) will bring the best flavour out. Good or not?

Another place for char siew rice is at one stall behind the old Cathay cinema at Jalan Bukit Bintang. It is actually behind the cinema which is now an open air car park. I can't remember the name but it is popular amongst the office people. Nice big car owners frequent this place too.

As for siew yoke, I find Mr.Ho has got nice ones except $$$$$ not so nice. Very expensive for siew yoke but when you take the first bite, you will think," Ah, never mind la the price, I need to pamper myself." The skin of the siew yoke is sooooo crispy. You can actually hear the crackling sound when you bite on it. The flavour is just right; not to bland and meaty in taste, not too salty. Juuust right!

I heard of a place in Pudu which is good for the siew yoke. Located at the corner shoplot near Hiong Kong Departmental Store, this places serves siew yoke, char siew, kai fan but their specialty is siew yoke. Apparently they only start serving you at 11am. I shall try it out one day.

Damn! I can't shake the thought of the Overseas Restaurant's honey roasted char siew. I can even visualise it now...the shiny coating of the meat calling me......."lai ...lai....lai".



*****************************************************************************

Remember I was walking "kaki kangkang" one midnite in my previous post?
I had satay and nasi lemak. Check it out at magical mana

38 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home